Thursday, June 10, 2010

Grill, Baby, Grill (Part II)

I wrote earlier this week that we've become reacquainted with our grill after taking a break from each other, and oh what a rekindling of love it has been (pun totally intended, thank you very much).

Friday night is our family's pizza night (pizza posts are here and here), and I've been wanting to try grilling pizza forever. I hear people talk about it, I saw Bobby Flay do it, but I've never quite had the courage to do it myself. I had visions of the dough melting through the grates of the grill and causing marital strife and countless I-told-you-so's.

I needn't have worried.

Let me first say, I do not have this method perfected, so if you, dear reader, have done so, please share your tips with the rest of us. But I have learned it is actually easier than you might think. Here's my method. Roll out your dough as you normally would, but perhaps just a smidgen thinner. Get the grill to a nice medium heat, and spray the grates with cooking spray. Brush one side of the dough with olive oil, and put it on the grates olive oil side down. Let it cook for about 3 minutes, brushing the other side with olive oil in the meantime. Flip the dough, and quickly add your sauce, cheese, and toppings of choice. Cover the grill, and the let the pizza cook about another 5 minutes or so, until your cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from grill, let stand just a minute, and then try not to devour it all in one sitting.

Note: pizza on our grill seems to cook more quickly than pizza in the oven. All times posted above are approximate! But I've learned not to top the pizza with things that actually need to cook through (like mushrooms or shrimp), only things that need to get nice and hot (cheese, veggies, pepperoni, etc.). Otherwise, the pizza dough may be cooked through and ready to come off before the toppings have finished cooking. Not ideal!