Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Cheeseburger in Paradise

It is well known among my friends and family that while I do not have much of a sweet tooth, you stand between me and a cheeseburger at your own peril. (Atlanta Mom has endured years of heading off to Johnny Rockets the moment I arrive for a visit to get my cheeseburger fix there). My favorite cheeseburger is juicy (which is not the same thing as greasy, thank you very much), not too thick and not too thin (this is a point of contention between DH and me. He thinks the thicker the better, whereas I like a burger to be a burger, not a meatloaf), and accompanied by a nice sharp cheddar cheese, ketchup, lettuce, tomato (but only if it's a good one - mealy, pinkish ones need not apply), and pickles. Mmmmm.

We love making burgers at home. Over the years we've tried all sorts of variations, but - no surprise here - Ina Garten's burger recipe is, to me, hands down the best. It makes a perfect burger every time. Recipe follows, with my notes.

Perfect Burgers
Ingredients

2 pounds ground chuck
1 pound ground sirloin (A note about the meat: no doubt that this combo of chuck and sirloin is seriously fabulous. But I've also used this recipe with ground turkey, and it was great as well, and I've gone with just ground chuck when I was in a hurry at the grocery store. So - as is usually the case - don't feel too constricted by what the recipe says)
3 tablespoons steak sauce (recommended: Crosse & Blackwell) (That's Ina's recommendation, not mine. I've not been able to find this steak sauce here, though I keep looking. Last time I made these it was with good old A1.)
6 extra-large egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
Hamburger buns

Directions
Carefully mix the meats, steak sauce, egg yolks, salt, and pepper with the tines of a fork, but do not mash it. (Actually, what I do is first whisk together the steak sauce, egg yolks, and salt and pepper. Then I add the meat to the bowl and gently mix it into the sauce with my fingers. This seems to distribute everything a bit better for me.) Lightly form each hamburger and lightly press into a patty shape. (I get about 10-12 burgers out of this recipe - it will vary a bit depending on how thick you make the burgers.) Make an indentation and put a thin slice of butter inside each hamburger, making sure the butter is entirely encased in the meat. (Don't skip this step! I know it seems a bit over the top, but wow - it really brings out the meat flavor and adds juiciness without being too greasy.)

Heat a grill, broiler, or saute pan and cook the hamburgers for 3 to 5 minutes on each side until almost done. Remove to a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Allow the hamburgers to rest for 5 minutes and serve immediately on buns.

These go great with broccoli slaw and potato salad. Happy eating!