Sunday, June 13, 2010

It's Greek To Me (Part I)

First, let me warn my readers - I am typing this on very, very little sleep. My husband was working this weekend, so I took the boys on a trip with friends to their weekend place in Florida. Where my 2 year old was having such a good time, he decided to to party the entire weekend.

As in all frickin' night long.

Both nights.

Not crying, not fussing, just good old fashioned partying. Singing, dancing, wiggling away...all right next to me in the bed. I'm not proud to confess it reduced both me and my 5 year old to tears around 10:30 last night...one of us was wailing I just want to go to sleeeeeep...and it's possible it was me. (Have I ever mentioned I don't do well with sleep deprivation?)

We are now home, it's 8:22 as I type this, and the boys have been asleep for 2 1/2 hours. I am waiting only for the last load of wash to finish before I fall into a coma myself. All of this is to say, I make no representations or warranties as to the quality of this recipe or blog post.

***
Since it's about a million degrees out there, here's a nice crisp salad to keep you cool.

Greek Salad

2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 Tablespoons good extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of salt, bigger pinch of pepper
1 head Romaine lettuce, torn and washed (I don't know who I think I'm kidding when I say "torn." I cut my lettuce with a knife. Yup, I do. I don't know what horrors are supposed to rain down on you when you do that, but our lettuce always seems to be fine, even days later)
1 English cucumber, sliced (These are the really long ones that are wrapped in plastic wrap at the grocery store. Slice it in half lengthwise, and then use a grapefruit spoon to scoop out the seeds in the middle. Then slice for your salad.)
Cherry tomatoes, halved (Or fabulous little tomatoes from your backyard garden that do infinitely better when I am out of town and my Mom stops by to water them - thanks, Mom)
Kalamata olives, pitted
Feta cheese

Whisk lemon juice, olive oil, and salt & pepper together in a large glass salad bowl. Add the veggies, olives, and feta cheese. Toss, and marvel that a salad could be so delicious and so simple.

Off to sleep, glorious sleep...