Monday, November 9, 2009

Pizza Pizza

Let me begin by saying I am a classic late adopter. I don't have an ipod. I can barely figure out Facebook. I've only sent 3 text messages in my life. My cell phone does not take pictures. So when I find something out there in the world that actually makes my life easier, my first instinct is to jump for joy. And my second is to immediately look around to see if everyone else in the world has already been using it for the past 10 years.


My latest discovery: fresh pizza dough from the grocery store (at our Publix, it's sold in the bakery section). We love pizza. Love it. (Though really, who doesn't?). Every where we have lived we've had a favorite pizza joint and it's always been our traditional Friday night food. I must admit, though, in the 2 years we've been in Savannah we've not found just the right pizza place that has the perfect blend of excellent pizza, convenient location, and good service. So for the past few months I've been making it at home, which is ridiculously fun to do with kids. (Note: I buy 3 or 4 rolls of it at a time and freeze them until needed).

It's harder than you would think to really perfect the pizza technique, which is why I haven't blogged about it until now. At this point, I've got it down to a system. Today's post is less of a recipe and more about pointers that I, ahem, learned the hard way.

1) A pizza stone really does make a difference. I got one at World Market for $12, and pizza on that has a much crisper crust than pizza done on a regular baking sheet. It's worth the money (and, if you're in Savannah, the hassle of going over there and fighting your way through the parking lot from hell).

2) The instructions on the pizza dough say to let it rise on the counter for 30 minutes before rolling out. I've found 1 - 1.5 hours is much better, the dough is much, much easier to handle and roll out if you give it a bit longer. (And before long you'll roll it just a little bit and then start throwing it in the air, much to the amazement of your children. Let me tell you - nothing says Mommy Is A Rock Star like a competent pizza toss).

3) Sprinkle your pizza stone liberally with cornmeal. Not flour. Not just a little cornmeal. Lots and lots of it. This is the only thing that will keep it from sticking.

4) For homemade pizza sauce I do 6oz tomato paste, 4oz water, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Play with the seasonings until it's just right for you. My kids LOVE painting the sauce onto the pizza dough.

5) Top with mozzarella cheese and your favorite toppings. (Also a great kid activity)

6) Bake at 425 until the cheese is melted and the crust has cooked (this is about 20 minutes, give or take a few).

Enjoy!