Friday, June 18, 2010

Morzo!

(Get it? More orzo? Oh I do crack myself up!!)

I am currently packing for my 4th trip in 4 weeks - and by "packing" I mean I am glaring at my ever trusty packing list, wondering why the swim diapers, shampoo bottles, books, flip flops, groceries and other necessities can't just pack themselves. You'd think they would have enough practice by now. We are headed to Charleston with the boys for Father's Day weekend, and looking forward to it. I just have to find the energy to actually get us there.

Atlanta Mom sends her favorite orzo recipe today, courtesy of Giada de Laurentis (also known around here as the Skinny Italian). Super simple for summer. Enjoy!

Orzo with Tomatoes, Feta, and Green Onions
Makes 8 servings
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1 t. honey
1/2 c. EVOO
6 c. chicken broth
1 lb. orzo
2 c. red and yellow teardrop or grape tomatoes, halved
1 7-oz. package of feta cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 c. chopped fresh basil
1 c. chopped green onions
1/2 c. pine nuts, toasted

Whisk vinegar, lemon juice, and honey in small bowl. Gradually whisk in EVOO. Season vinaigrette with S and P. Can be made 2 days ahead (cover and chill). Bring broth to boil in large heavy saucepan. Stir in orzo, reduce heat to medium, cover partially, and boil until tender, but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Transfer to large wide bowl, tossing frequently until cool. Mix tomatoes, feta, basil, and green onions into orzo. Add vinaigrette; toss to coat. Season with S and P. (Can be make 2 hrs. ahead. Let stand at room temperature.) Add pine nuts; toss. Serve at room temperature. **I usually add roasted or rotisserie chicken to make it a one-dish dinner instead of a side dish!**