Friday, May 22, 2009

Rain, Rain, Go Away

When we bought our house, I was very surprised to learn it was not in a federally-designated flood zone, despite the fact that we live on a island. Right next to the ocean and intracoastal waterway. Surrounded by water. Requiring 2 fairly low lying bridges to access. Did I mention surrounded by water?

So today, which is day 6 of pouring rain, I am nothing but grateful that we bought flood insurance anyway, because I am certain our house is going to float away at any moment. And as long as it's floating to someplace sunny, it can take me with it, because I can't stand one more rainy day with 2 little boys to entertain. Really. Can't. Take. It.

The worst part is that I think our boating and picnicking plans for the holiday weekend have been scuttled. Even if the sun comes out tomorrow (cue Annie song), the marine forecast is for 4-6 foot waves all weekend. No thank you! I'll take my chances on the pool waterslide instead.

In the hopes that you have better weather and fun outdoor meals planned, here is my recipe for potato salad, courtesy of my mother-in-law. This is guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser.

5 lb bag yukon gold potatoes (no other kind!)
1 vidalia onion, finely diced
4 celery stalks, finely diced
8 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 cup Helmann's mayonnaise
1 cup Miracle Whip (I know, I know. Crazy, right? Who really uses that stuff? But trust me on this one, it gives the potato salad a little tang that makes such a difference. You can adjust the proportions if you'd like, but I find a 1:1 ratio of mayo and Miracle Whip gives the right flavor)
Salt
Pepper
Paprika

The night before (and this key to the recipe): Boil the potatoes with skins on until fork tender. Put in fridge overnight.
The next day: Peel and cube the potatoes. Mix gently (don't mash up your potatoes!) with celery, onion, and egg. Add mayo and miracle whip, beginning with 1/2 cup of each and adding more as needed to get the salad to the consistency you like. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle lightly with paprika before serving.

Note: this is even better when made a day ahead, which requires boiling and refrigerating the potatoes 2 days ahead. If you make it a day ahead, check it before serving to see if you need to add a little more mayo/Miracle Whip; it may dry out a smidgen in the fridge.

Happy Memorial Day!