Monday, May 31, 2010

Choppin' Broccoli

Ah, nothing better than a holiday weekend filled with food, is there? I'm sure there are some fascinating cultural studies on why people all over the world make food the central part of any celebration - I don't know why, I only know I'm grateful. Our holiday weekend was also filled with boating and beaching, though on our return trip today the waves were so rough that as I sit here at my desk, I still feel like I'm rocking. Which makes me think I should join my husband and sons who are all napping away the afternoon and the vertigo...

Here's a new recipe we tried this weekend, as a side dish for our cookout. The original recipe for the dressing is from a recent Everyday Food magazine, which had it as a dressing for iceberg lettuce. I used broccoli slaw instead.

Buttermilk Broccoli Slaw (serves 8 - 10)

3 tablespoons buttermilk
3 tablespoons plain yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill (I didn't have fresh dill so used 1/2 tablespoon dried dill)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (Cutting the parsley from my herb garden in front of my two year old was a big mistake. He wanted in on the fun, so the next thing I knew he was in the kitchen with a handful of green little tomatoes. That he had picked. From my revived tomato plants. Sigh.)
1/2 small shallot, diced
Salt and pepper to taste

Whisk together all ingredients and then toss over two 10 ounce packages of broccoli slaw. Note: my Mom and I both thought the dressing was good, but lacked a little punch. Next time, I would add a handful of crumbled feta cheese to give it a little sharpness.

There's now a napping couch calling my name. Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend.