Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fat Day

I reminded the boys last week that Fat Tuesday was coming up and that we would be having pancakes for dinner. My oldest promptly reported to his kindergarten class, "On Fat Day, Mommy makes pancakes."

Awesome. It's like the game of Operator, 6 year old style.

I did indeed make pancakes for dinner tonight, and wondered why I don't do it more often. I suppose part of it is because we eat pancakes often enough for breakfast, and part of it is because I've yet to find a wine that goes well with them (hmmm...mimosas with dinner, anyone??).

You just cannot beat this recipe for buttermilk pancakes from the Joy of Cooking. I've posted it before, but here it is again.

Dry Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Wet Ingredients
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Mix the wet ingredients quickly into the dry ingredients, until just combined. Cook on griddle until bubble form and a couple of them pop. Flip, cook a minute or two more, and enjoy!