Sunday, May 23, 2010

You Say Tomato...

...I say "Oh dear."


We had a great trip to the mountains, and the wedding was just beautiful (talk about good food!!!). But I returned to the most pitiful plants you've ever seen, including tomato plants that were doing so well (20 little tomatoes already) but apparently decided to give up after 3 days of no watering. Quitters. I'm not sure they can be resuscitated, but I'm trying.


Summer growing season is here, and our farmbox delivery is overflowing with Vidalia onions these days. I was staring at them this afternoon, trying to decide if I had the energy to make onion soup and just freeze it for the fall, when I remembered that Southern dinner party staple: onion dip. This recipe is so easy it can hardly be called a recipe, but it is always, always, the first to go.

Ridiculously Easy Vidalia Onion Dip

2 cups diced Vidalia onions

2 cups shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese

1.5 cups good mayonnaise (I like Hellman's)

Mix together in an oven-proof bowl. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until slightly browned and bubbling. Serve with Triscuits and stand back while your husband inhales.

Mmmm...