Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Message in a Bottle

Dilemma. I'm traveling (again), and writing this from a conference in Boston. Like any good conference-go'er, I skipped out on an afternoon session to spend some time walking outside and popping into some shops here and there. While poking around Crate & Barrel, I found this salad dressing bottle.

I. Want. It.

One of my real downfalls in the kitchen is that I am lazy, lazy, lazy when it comes to making salad and salad dressings. It's too much damn work!!! You have to tear and wash the lettuce, peel and chop the carrots, wash and slice tomatoes and cucumbers, destring the snap peas...I am exhausted just writing all of that. THEN to do a homemade dressing with all that measuring and whisking. And at the end of all that, you still have to do the main course. It's just too much of a hurdle for me, especially when I'm trying to get dinner on the table in less than 25 minutes (the length of Little Einsteins or Curious George).

In the winter this is not as much of a problem. Winter veggies are easy to roast right alongside your meat, or toss in a soup. But in the summer, there's just nothing that hits the spot like a nice fresh, crisp salad. So, in light of my New Year's resolution to serve more vegetables, I am determined to be better about making salads this summer with fresh salad dressing to go with them. And this little salad dressing bottle seems like just the perfect thing. It's cute, it's convenient (dressing recipes printed right on it!), and most of all, it's a kitchen tool. Totally my weakness.

But here's my dilemma. I'm flying back tomorrow. I wouldn't want to pack this in my checked luggage, because it's bound to be broken. So my options are to carry it home in my purse or order it on-line and pay almost as much in shipping as the price of the bottle. Or not have it at all. (But I'm afraid that, Dear Readers, is not an option.) Suggestions? Advice? Free shipping coupon for Crate and Barrel?