Sunday, April 3, 2011

Beignet, Done Dat

First, some background. Attorney Mom and I are having a reunion in New Orleans. Long time readers may remember that Attorney Mom was my partner in crime in Savannah for ages. Then she had the gall to up and leave me, returning home to Kansas City to raise her children closer to family. Gah. This has been a tragic event in my life. BUT, now we are in New Orleans pretty much eating our way through the French Quarter and beyond.
***
The first order of business, naturellement, has been to discover the city's best beignets. We take this endeavor very seriously. After three well considered taste testings in approximately 13 hours, we have a winner. Cafe Beignet, on Royal (just in case you're in the neighborhood) is the clear winner. Cafe du Monde, surly waiter and all (note to future diners - asking for coffee to be decaf AND served with milk is one request too many), gets all the fanfare, but the beignets were average. However, here's the interesting discovery: after Attorney Mom's apparently too high maintenance request for milk, I was scared to ask for sugar for my coffee. Turns out powdered sugar shaken off a beignet does just fine.