Monday, January 18, 2010

Zoology


Well, would you look at that. I can upload pictures. Who knew?!?!
***
Where do you find your recipe inspirations? (Other than this blog, of course!)
My inspiration this weekend came from the zoo. Yes, the zoo. It was a gorgeous weekend, sunny and in the high 60's (now that's what I'm talking about), so we took the boys to the zoo for the day on Sunday. So much fun, but one of the highlights was the excellent Mexican rice and beans we had for lunch there. I could not get it out of my mind. So today I tried to recreate it by combining some different recipes, and came pretty darn close. This is not a particularly fast recipe, but it's low maintenance and takes care of itself while you get the rest of dinner served (sort of like my children on a good day).
Black Beans and Rice
1 14oz can Goya black beans, drained and rinsed
1 3/4 cup long grain white rice
1 sweet onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
32 ounce box Kitchen Basics chicken stock
In a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and green pepper; cook until tender. Add garlic and cook 2 more minutes, stirring often. Add the tomato paste, black beans, oregano, and cumin. Cook for about 5 more minutes, stirring gently. Add the chicken stock and rice. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to very low, and cook until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is fully cooked.
I served this with baked flounder and sliced avocado. Tomorrow I'll use the left overs to make burritos with a rotisserie chicken.
Happy eating!