Sunday, January 17, 2010

Dining with Sol

I'll be the first to admit it: Savannah is a Small Town. There are things I consider a basic necessity that are only accessible here on-line or via 2 hours on I-95 here (like Costco, decent swimsuits options for a mother of two children, and all things Pottery Barn). But one thing we do have on par with any city I've ever been to is restaurants. Especially if you like seafood - I really don't think Savannah can be beat.

We ate at Sol for the first time Saturday night (1611 Habersham Street), and I can't figure out why we haven't been there before. It's Mexican food meets Coastal Georgia, and the marriage of the two is perfect. Everything we had was outstanding, and the service couldn't have been better. We shared the crab and wild Georgia shrimp ceviche, eggplant tostadas, fish tacos, and pan seared striped sea bass. Fabulous. My only regret - we were trying to make a movie and didn't have time to stay for dessert. I feel certain the movie wasn't worth it...
***
In keeping with the Mexican theme, here's a recipe I absolutely love for chicken enchiladas. This is my mom's recipe and one of my most requested meals from her. I've been known to drop off empty pans at her house in the hopes they'll reappear in my freezer with this in it. This is my favorite kind of dish for crazy weeknights, because it can be made the day before and baked the next day.

Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas

1 10oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed (A note about spinach brands: I love frozen spinach, and use it in a lot of recipes. I usually buy Green Giant or Bird's Eye brand, but when I made this recipe last week I bought Publix brand spinach. Mistake. For whatever reason, the Publix spinach wasn't sufficiently chopped, and ended up being far too clumpy in the enchiladas. Lesson: go with a good brand for something like this.)
1 16oz jar medium salsa with cilantro (Mom and I have actually decided medium salsa with cilantro makes this a bit too spicy for us, though DH and my dad don't seem to notice. I go with mild salsa now - love Newman's own brand)
1 10oz cans mild enchilada sauce
1 8oz package cream cheese
10 7-8 inch flour tortillas
1 8oz package shredded Mexican cheese

Drain spinach, set aside. Stir together 1/4 cup salsa and enchilada sauce, set aside. Microwave cream cheese for about a minute, until very soft. Add spinach, chicken, and remaining salsa, and stir until blended. Spoon a heaping 1/3 cupful of chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up tortillas and place seam side down in a lightly greased baking dish (did you see that part about "lightly greased"? The Voice of Experience is here to tell you not to skip that step) . Pour enchilada sauce mixture evenly over top of rolled tortillas, sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, let stand 5 minutes. Delish!