Sunday, January 3, 2010

You've Come a Long Way, Baby

We have just returned from a fabulous beach weekend with our Tar Heel friends Katie and Chris, and their adorable munchkins who are the same age as our kiddos. Katie and I first became friends when our oldest kids were 5 months old and in the same daycare class. Now those boys are 5 years old, a fact I find simply amazing.

Our first night at the beach all 8 of us were seated around the dining table, and it was a sight to behold. No highchairs, no booster seats, no jars of baby food, no bottles. Just four beautiful children and their very happy parents. Is there anything better in life than sharing good food and wine with family and friends? I think not.
***
I'm working on my menu planning and grocery list for this week, and focusing on my serve-more-veggies mantra. My plan this week is to try setting out a tray of nibbling-friendly vegetables (baby carrots, grape tomatoes, snow peas, and some ranch dressing) around 5pm, and see if the boys (hubby included) will pick at those instead of coming into the kitchen every five minutes to tell me how hungry they are and how they will surely die from starvation if I don't feed them that very minute.
***
Finally, here's the question of the day, brought to you by my afore-mentioned 5 year old: Are pickles vegetables?