Monday, January 4, 2010

Gone with the Wind

Let me tell you, this cold weather is going to be the end of me. I am, as anyone who has the misfortune to come within 10 feet of me in the winter time knows, a Cold Weather Wimp. Or perhaps more accurately, a Cold Weather Wimp And Whiner. The cold is bad enough, but combined with the Arctic wind we've been having, it's about to do me in. If there is a sudden dearth of blog posts, it's because I froze to death.
***
For those of you joining me in my Quest for More Vegetables, here's a great menu. Cozy and hearty enough for a cold day, but not too heavy like winter casseroles can sometimes be.

Ribs (Here's my usual recipe; for a fast weeknight meal in the spring or summer or fall when it's warm enough to grill outside, make these on a Sunday and eat them on Monday. If it's too cold outside to even light the damn grill, nothing wrong with grabbing some already roasted for you at Fresh Market!)
Cucumber and tomato salad (sliced cucumber and cherry tomatoes, tossed with your favorite vinaigrette and a little fresh dill)
Butternut squash soup (I pulled the last of it out of the freezer for tonight's dinner)

***
A non-food related comment: if the Tar Heels don't PULL IT TOGETHER it is going to be a really long basketball season. Arg!