Tuesday, May 26, 2009

What's your go-to dinner? Part III

First, an off-topic comment. I hate folding laundry. I really, really hate it. Once upon a time, when I had my first baby, my parents didn't live in the same town as us. Instead, they would come to visit us for a week or two weeks at a time, and I fondly think back on those days as the laundry-fairy days. DH and I would go to work, and we'd come home to baskets of delightfully folded laundry, practically skipping its way to the drawers and closets. Ah, the good old days. Now my parents live down the street from us, and as it turns out, my mom has her own laundry and life to deal with. Damn.

Now, back to food. If there was ever a day when I needed a go-to meal, today was it. Late Friday afternoon we looked at the weather forecast, determined Savannah would be enduring yet another 3 days of rain, and tossed boys, dog, and bathing suits in the car to head north in search of sun. The good news - we found it and had a fabulous long weekend with my in-laws in Charleston. The bad news - we got home late Monday night, thus leaving me wandering around the grocery store early this morning with nary a meal plan in sight. (Why I couldn't use the 2 hours of drive time back Monday night to plan a few meals for the week I don't know. Listening to constant Wiggles and Elmo must have killed my brain cells).

But then - inspiration! After my first go-to dinner post, my Atlanta Mom friend called to tell me her go-to dinner is crockpot pork. Perfect. We had this tonight with blue cheese coleslaw, grilled corn-on-the-cob, rum and tonics, and ice cream sandwiches. Eat outside with plenty of paper towels. Is there anything better in the summertime? (Side note: my mom may not do my laundry anymore - sniff sniff - but she does make a mean blue cheese coleslaw on the fly)

Crockpot Pork

1 Boston Butt (I have no idea what the origin of that name is, but it's awfully unattractive)
Salt and pepper
Your favorite barbecue sauce
Rolls

Rub the pork all over with salt and pepper. Place in crockpot; add 2 cups water. Turn on high. Walk away and do whatever it is you do all day. Return in 7 hours, turn off crockpot, and remove pork. It should be fall-off-the-bone tender. Shred in a large mixing bowl, and toss with your favorite barbecue sauce. Serve on rolls. Seriously, could anything be easier?

Happy eating!