Thursday, May 7, 2009

Signs of Summer

What is your favorite summer drink?

Summer has officially arrived in Savannah, and I've done my happy dance. There is nothing I love more than hot weather and all the accompanying activities (which distilled to their essence are Boat and Beach - I'm very easy to please). So of course, my thoughts have turned to summertime foods. And drinks. Nothing says summer to me more than a rum and tonic, sipped in a sweaty glass while sitting in my front porch rocking chair, waving at mosquitos and watching my boys run around like wild animals. Summer in the South - you can't beat it.

The perfect rum & tonic:
Fill crystal double old-fashioned with ice. (Yes, crystal. Trust me, it tastes better that way. You wouldn't drink wine out of a coffee mug, would you?)
Squeeze 2 generous slices of lime over the ice.
Pour one shot of Mount Gay rum (not any other kind!) over the ice.
Pour tonic water (FRESH tonic water, not the opened one that's been sitting in the fridge for a week) to fill the glass.
Sip and enjoy.

If you're really organized, set out cheese, crackers, olives, salami, and some spiced nuts to nibble while you sip. Life is good!