Thursday, May 28, 2009

Take Me Out for Take Out

We all have nights when we don't want to cook but can't be bothered to go out. For years my solution to those nights was a Chinese food restaurant in Chapel Hill called Charlie's. The Best. Chinese. Food. Ever. Just writing about it makes me miss it. Every week or so I'd call DH at work and suggest Charlie's for dinner, to which he would enthusiastically agree. I'd call in the order (Charlie knew me by name), DH would plan to get it on his way home, and we would spend at least 30 or 45 minutes happily anticipating it and 3-4 minutes inhaling it like a couple of wolves who hadn't eaten in a month. The egg rolls were so good DH could never make it home without eating his on the way, and we once almost got divorced when I discovered a bite out of mine (his was gone and he just couldn't resist one more taste before he walked through the door). One of my fondest memories from pregnancy (and I only have about 3 fond memories of pregnancy) is when I called Charlie, placed my unusually large order, and got the comment, "Ooooh my friend, you hungry tonight!"

Now, sadly, Charlie's has closed (not to mention we've moved), and I don't have a regular take-out place. What is yours? And more importantly, if you live in Savannah, WHERE is yours?