Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Picnic Plans

We are big picnickers. (Is that a word?) Actually, to be more accurate, we are big boaters. And let me tell you, nothing stimulates the appetite more than being on a boat. I have no idea how it works, but I can be totally and completely stuffed from my latest meal, and the second I step foot on the boat, my stomach starts to growl.

One of my most challenging food weeks was when we were on a week-long sailing trip while I was pregnant with our first child. Some people have extreme mood swings; I had extreme food swings. My conversations with DH the entire week went something like this: I'm nauseated! No, I'm hungry! No, I can't look at food! I must eat now! Stop talking about food, can't you see I don't feel good? STEP AWAY FROM THE CHEESE AND CRACKERS, THEY'RE MINE...and so on. Perhaps not the best vacation we've ever been on. Frankly, I'm surprised he didn't just push me over the side so he could enjoy his week.

But I digress. In order to survive and enjoy our frequent boat and beach outings, I have become the supreme Picnic Packer, and I'm always on the lookout for good picnic recipes. Here's one that got a test run this week, and was great:

1 package frozen cheese tortellini
1 10oz package frozen peas
1 cup homemade pesto
1 cup parmesan cheese

1/2 - 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
olive oil
salt and pepper

Bring water to a boil in large pot. Salt well, add tortellini and peas. Boil according to package instructions for tortellini (generally about 4-5 minutes). Drain and set aside.

Preheat oven to 400. Toss shrimp with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet. Roast for 5-6 minutes. Allow to cool.

Toss shrimp with tortellini, peas, pesto and parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pack and serve with a cold beer on the beach. Happy eating!