Thursday, April 16, 2009

To Market, To Market

How much do you spend at the grocery store? How do you try to save?

I grocery shop twice each week - Monday mornings I do the big weekly grocery run, and Thursday mornings I make a quick stop to pick up the fresh things we're running low on (milk, fruits, and veggies). Groceries are by far our biggest weekly expense. So I was intrigued by an Op-Ed in today's New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/16/opinion/16stein.html

Impulse buy at the grocery store? Me? Never! Except for the sushi I bought for my lunch today. And the 2 boxes of Cheerios and one box of Kashi because they were on sale. And the whole chicken because it seemed like a good idea for dinner tonight (despite the fact that I already had tonight's dinner planned and ingredients purchased). And the lemon and onion to go in the chicken while I roast it. And the frozen spinach and feta cheese because I got it in my brain - while wandering around the grocery store, of course - that a spinach/feta omelet might hit the spot this weekend (even though I think I'll puke if I see another egg anytime soon). All in all, a good $25 worth of groceries I didn't need. Oops.

I will try to do better! In the meantime, here's a recipe for the best roast chicken ever. And believe me, I've tried them all.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lemon-and-garlic-roast-chicken-recipe/index.html

Dinner tonight: roasted chicken, lima beans, rice. Happy eating!