Sunday, July 18, 2010

Salmon by the Seat of Your Pants

Seafood and I have had a love/hate relationship. For the longest time, I hated it, and had a hard time even trying it be be polite. Seafood restaurants were nothing but a source of stress for me, as I sat there eating saltine crackers and ordering the overcooked chicken. But after years of living on the coast, I now love it. Shrimp, tuna, salmon, scallops, flounder...YUM. Still, I struggle with the sustainability issues and mercury problems, which makes it hard for me to know what to order, what to buy, what is generally okay to eat. These days we stick primarily to shrimp (OH!! Have I ever blogged my shrimp pizza? I don't think so...stay tuned for that...) and flounder.

For a long time we were on a big salmon kick. It was one of the first fish I learned to eat, and would order it at restaurants and make it at home once/week. But, as often happens when you get on such a food kick, both of us are a little sick of it. So when I made this recipe the other night, I must admit I didn't really have much enthusiasm for it. That said, it was good, and if you're currently on a salmon kick, it's worth trying.

Okay, one more salmon confession.

I lost the recipe.


I swear it was in the kitchen with all my other "to be tried soon" recipes, and then it wasn't. So when I made it, I had to do it from memory, which is always a little suspect. But still, it came out good, and I've been making salmon long enough and often enough that I wasn't worried about the method.

Salmon by the Seat of your Pants
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
A dash of olive oil
1 garlic glove, minced
A dash of dried ginger (actually, I do remember the recipe called for fresh ginger, but my goodness, what could be more high maintenance? I don't have the patience for that)
Pinch of pepper
Bigger pinch of kosher salt
2 salmon fillets



Whisk it all together. The sauce should be just the slightest bit syrupy, so if it's not, add a bit more honey. Pour over the salmon and let sit for at least 30 minutes, I think all day would be fine. Preheat your broiler, and put the salmon on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Pop the salmon under the broiler for 7-9 minutes. Voila! Dinner is done.