Monday, July 19, 2010

Just Desserts












I have discovered the most perfect summer dessert ever. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I really don't have much of a sweet tooth. (This is not really such a blessing, as I have an incurable cheeseburger-and-french-fry-tooth, so I think it all evens out). But I do love a good key lime pie, and it is always my dessert of choice in the summertime. (For a great recipe for it, see Attorney Mom's guest post here).

Several weekends ago, we were having company over, and I really needed a dessert that could be made ahead of time (I like to spend my Saturdays on the boat, not in the kitchen, thank you very much)! Flipping through my cookbooks - all 43 of them - I came across Ina Garten's recipe for frozen key lime pie that I've been meaning to try forever. I should not have waited so long. This recipe is perfect in every way. Easy to do, made ahead of time, gorgeous presentation, and so delicious. Cool, crisp, the right balance of tart and sweetness. Ah Ina, you never let us down.

Frozen Key Lime Pie

Ingredients
First - The Crust
1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs (9 crackers)
¼ cup sugar
6 Tablespoons butter, melted

Second - The Filling
6 egg yolks
¼ cup sugar
1 14oz. can sweetened condensed milk
2 Tablespoons lime zest
¾ cup lime juice from 4-5 regular limes or 8-10 key limes

Third - The Decoration
1 cup cold heavy cream
¼ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon vanilla

Directions

For the crust, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter in a bowl. Press into a 9-inch pie pan, making sure the sides and the bottom are an even thickness. Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely. (Note: my crust stuck to my pie pan a bit. Next time I make it I might spray the pie pan just a bit with cooking spray.)

For the filling, beat the egg yolks and sugar on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment for 5 minutes, until thick. With the mixer on medium speed, add the condensed milk, lime zest, and lime juice. Pour into the baked pie shell and freeze.

For the decoration, beat the heavy cream on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat until firm. Spoon or pipe decoratively onto the pie and decorate with lime. Freeze for several hours or overnight.

FABULOUS.