Thursday, July 22, 2010

Everybody's Working for the Weekend

Just in time for the weekend, Attorney Mom blogs a fabulous menu. Get your grill on.
***
It really WAS good advice! When I was growing up, my mother had two maxims about eating. First, make sure all of the food on your plate is colorful. Second, enjoy dessert, but just a little. Those two rules have stood me in excellent stead throughout my life, and of course while I try to follow them each meal, there are exceptions, like my current favorite summer dinner! (If, dear reader, you can’t sleep at night for the lack of color and true vegetable, just add your favorite green thing!)

Here is what is making my family happy this summer- for my husband, who likes to grill, my two kiddos, who love anything that takes a squirt of ketchup, and my two big dogs, who get the leftover burgers for assisting so admirably with the grill duties:

Hamburgers: I mix a pound of ground beef, 3 mild Italian sausages (take out of casing), 1 t. dry thyme, 1 t. dry oregano, salt (1/2 t.), pepper (1/2 t.) and an egg together, and voila! They just taste SO good! (Editor's Note: OMG. This is essentially a sausage burger. Genius. Because it is my firm belief there is nothing in this world that can't be improved with a little sausage. Can't wait to try these.)

Corn on the cob: We learned this secret while we were honorary Texans living in Austin! Prepare fresh corn (Place corn in water, just to cover the ears. Do NOT add salt. Boil water for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes. Done!) and lightly coat each ear with butter, garlic salt, and Parmesan cheese. Now, those fearless Texans may also add a light sprinkle of Cajun spices to this mix- yeehaw, right?

Baked beans: To be honest, there are a million ways to gussy up a plain old can of baked beans, but I really really just like Van de Camps original! So that is what we do.

Fruit: Cherries, pineapple, or any other delicious fruit in season! Here is a delicious dip for your fruit: ½ cup sour cream, 2 tbls. brown sugar (or more or less to taste), and a dash of vanilla.
Enjoy!