Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Voted Out

I wrote earlier this week that I am determined to clean out my recipe file. I've been sorting through, and am now convinced I need therapy to determine why it's so hard for me to throw out recipes that I am never going to make. This recipe for mushroom-cheddar frittata is a classic example. To me, it looks like a fabulous recipe. I love frittata in general, and this has all my favorite ingredients.

Yet...

It has cooked broccoli, which DH doesn't like, and mushrooms, which the kids don't like. There's a reason it's been sitting in my recipe file for a couple of years. I'm. Never. Going. To. Make. It. Which means it has to go. Boo.

But if I post it here, it's not really like I'm getting rid of it for good. Maybe your family will like it? And if one day DH decides he likes cooked broccoli, and if the kids get over their mushroom aversion, I'll scurry right back here to the blog, find it, and make it right away. All is not lost.

This is from the Everyday Food magazine.

Mushroom-Cheddar Frittata

10 oz mushrooms (the recipe calls for white button mushrooms, but in my fantasy world where I am making this, I would use creminis)
1/2 pound red new potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper
8 large eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
1 cup shredded white cheddar
10 oz package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and patted dry

Preheat oven to 400. In a 9 inch deep dish pie plate, toss mushrooms, potatoes, olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast 20 minutes, tossing once (mmmm...sounding good already).

In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, mustard, hot-pepper sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Stir in cheese and broccoli.

Pour egg mixture over potatoes and mushrooms, stir. Bake until puffed and set in the middle, 45 to 50 minutes.

If you try it, let me know how it is. (Or if you are my mother, perhaps you could make it and just bring me a slice for lunch??)

Happy eating!