Monday, July 13, 2009

Recipe Reduction

I've been diligently cleaning out my recipe file, and tried two more new ones over the weekend. The first was a bust - banana/oatmeal waffles. The flavor was fine, very much like banana bread, but they were far too moist and no matter how long I left them on the waffle iron, I couldn't get them nice and crisp on the outside the way we like our waffles. So that recipe got tossed.

(If you were thinking "Oh goody! Soggy waffles! My favorite!" - sorry. Google them and give it a whirl.)

The second recipe is Spinach and Bacon Quiche. I love quiche for dinner, and have been meaning to try this one forever. My verdict: great flavor, but sooooo heavy. I kept thinking if I were going to allocate all those calories, I'd rather just eat a cheeseburger and be done with it. (Or, as DH pointed out, I could have just had a smaller slice.)

Spinach and Bacon Quiche (Recipe from Paula Deen, commentary from yours truly):

6 large eggs, beaten
1.5 cups heavy cream (I couldn't bring myself to do the heavy cream. I did whole milk, which is bad enough, and it was fine. But, so much cream to eggs diluted the egg-y taste of it to me. Next time I make this I would do 8 eggs and 1 cup milk, since I like the egg taste to shine through in a quiche or a frittata)
Salt and Pepper (Paula doesn't tell us how much, but I did 1/2 teaspoon of each, which was plenty)
1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach
1.5 cups shredded Swiss cheese (I used Gruyere cheese, which is similar to Swiss but slightly less tangy and slightly more nutty.)
9-inch pie crust, fitted to a 9-inch pie plate (I was forewarned by Atlanta Mom, who sent me this recipe ages ago, that a 9-inch pie plate isn't big enough for this dish. So I made my own pie crust and rolled it out to fit my 12-inch pie plate, which worked perfectly. Consider yourself also forewarned now).

Preheat oven to 375. Combine eggs, cream, salt, and pepper in a food processor or blender (why in a blender? I don't know. I did it, but I think you'd be fine just whisking like you usually do with eggs). Layer the spinach, bacon, and cheese in the bottom of a pie crust, then pour egg mixture on top. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until the egg mixture is set (this took my quiche 55 minutes). Put your cardiologist on speed-dial, serve and enjoy.

Happy eating!