Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Uh-oh: Part II

The enchilada problem was solved without further drama. I ran into the grocery store on the way to get the boys and did what I should have done in the first place - bought McCormick enchilada sauce mix, and followed the recipe on the back of the package.

Lessons learned:

1) Some things are just not worth making from scratch. I've always grouped biscuits and yogurt into that category, and now enchilada sauce as well.

2) Enchiladas, if you just following the instructions on the McCormick mix, are actually really easy and tasty, and could be made ahead of time and then popped in the oven as needed (always a bonus). Not particularly unique or creative, but I think they've earned a spot on the menu rotation around here. Sometimes with meal planning I find I just need to be reminded of different options.

***

If you haven't tried the frittata recipe I posted a few days ago, not sure it's a real winner. My mom tried it and said it was fine, but a little bland.

***

Of the recipes I've had sitting in my file that I'm trying to clear out, not a single one has been a home run. Bummer, but at least they're out of here now, rather than trying to tantalize me with their false promises of deliciousness. I've been a bit more ruthless with the remaining pile and tossed quite a few. The remaining ones are all soups, so they've been given a breather until the fall.

Happy eating!