Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Uh-oh: Part I

A small disaster. I was just starting to make beef enchiladas - a recipe that I've had sitting in my file for ages - when I could already tell it wasn't going well. As the enchilada sauce was coming together, my eyes were watering from the fumes. Hmmm. Pretty sure that's not supposed to happen. So I pulled it off the stovetop, waited for it to cool a minute, and tasted it.

OUCH.

I think I just lost 85% of my taste buds. That sauce is so spicy my lips are still burning.

Not good.

I quickly double checked the recipe and my ingredients, and I didn't make any mistakes that I know of, so my guess is there's a typo (perhaps 1.5 teaspoons of chili powder is supposed to be .5??).

But now what do I do? I have to leave to pick up kiddos in 13 minutes - this was supposed to be in the oven on delay start, waiting for us to walk through the door this evening.

I'm going to set aside the already cooked meat and think about my options. Check back tomorrow for more adventures in cooking.

Sigh.