Tuesday, June 30, 2009

More About Rules

What are your food rules for your kids? I'm always interested when we eat at other people's houses to see what's expected of their kids. (Or for that matter, their reactions to ours. I've had more than one comment about the fact that I let our kids leave the table when they're finished eating, even if others are still eating.) Our general guidelines are these:

(I) I am not a short order cook. I make one meal for everyone, and we all eat it, sitting down together. No separate mealtime or meals for the kids.

(I)(A) Provided, however, that we eat at a manageble time for them (i.e., early), and I always make at least one thing I know they will like. Or at least have eaten the past. I do understand that past performance is not indicative of future results. I will solicit frequent input into meal planning and feedback on dishes.

(I)(B) Provider further, however, that I may substitute items served to the adults with something slightly more child-friendly if circumstances reasonably warrant such substitution. For example, if we are having steak, the children may be served a grilled hotdog. Or, if we are having salad, one child may instead receive carrots with ranch dressing, and the other may receive canned carrots. I have been known, on Christmas Day when the rest of us were eating beef tenderloin, to let children eat Chef Boyardee, much to their absolute delight.

(I)(C) Rule (I) does not apply if Daddy does not make it home for dinner and we all just want to eat cereal or cheese toast.

(II) If you really cannot bring yourself to eat what I have served, either because you do not like it, because it touched another piece of food, or because it's the second Tuesday of the month, you will not be forced to. There are no required minimum bites, and you may always get yourself a banana or yogurt. I choose what to put on the table, you choose whether and how much to eat.

(III) You must use your good table manners. Good table manners includes putting your napkin in your lap and then actually using it as necessary, making pleasant conversation, and trying new foods. If you do not use your good table manners, you must leave the table. I am not troubled if this means you do not eat; breakfast will roll around again before you know it.

(III)(A) If you use your good table manners, you can have dessert.

(IV) As noted above, if you're finished eating you may either stay in your chair and continue talking with us, or you may go play in the other room.

(IV)(A) But you may not play in the dining room under the table while we are trying to finish eating.

What are yours?