Monday, June 22, 2009

It's Hot. Damn Hot.

I think I am living in a reality TV show called Extreme Weather. First it rains for 40 days and 40 nights, and now we're having temperatures above 100 in June. While I hated the rain, I'll confess - I love this hot and humid weather. I like walking outside and having the air wrap around you like a blanket, never being too cold to get into the pool, and the dry, hot sensation of the sand on your feet. To me it epitomizes Summer in the South. But as much as I love it for being at the pool or on the boat, it does make it hard to even think about cooking.

So here are my favorite cool-you-down foods, things that are right out of the fridge, and just perfect for eating in the sauna known as the back porch.

Sliced watermelon

Lettuce wraps (romaine lettuce leaves wrapped around slices of turkey and brie, drizzled with just a smidgen of ranch dressing)

Frozen grapes

Smoothies (1 cup orange juice, 1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt, 1 frozen banana, 1 cup frozen mixed berries, blend until smooth)

Tomato slices, fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil on a piece of crusty french bread

Pickle slices

Olive tapenade over cream cheese with triscuits

Cold fried chicken

Deviled eggs

Frozen peanut m&ms (why they're so much better out of the freezer I don't know, but they are)

Stay cool!