Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I Feel Like Chicken Tonight

I've written before about my menu planning approach: each week I plan 4 meals, and make one of them chicken, one red meat, one pasta/vegetarian, and one seafood. (The rest of the nights we either eat leftovers, breakfast for dinner, or something comes up and we aren't at home for dinner). Tonight is chicken night, and here's what I have marinating in my fridge right now:

Lemon-Herb Chicken (this will feed all 4 of us, but only because our little guys only eat a small amount. So double this recipe if you need more than 2.4 servings)

3/4 lb chicken cutlets (Note: use organic chicken if your grocery store has it. It really does taste better. Also, you can easily substitute chicken breasts, but I like cutlets for this because they grill more quickly and there's less angst about whether the center is done all the way)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (approximately 1 large lemon)
1/4 cup good olive oil
1 big pinch of kosher salt
1 big pinch of pepper
1/2 cup of finely chopped fresh herbs (I used a combination today of rosemary, basil, thyme, and parsley)

Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and herbs. Pour over chicken and marinate overnight. Grill chicken for approximately 5 minutes each side (depending on thickness of the chicken, make it up to 10 minutes each side if you're using a nice thick chicken breast), or until just cooked through. Serve over mixed greens with crusty french bread and tomato slices. So easy and fast.