Monday, February 14, 2011

I Think I Love You


Hello readers! (If any of you are left...it's been so long since I blogged that I actually forgot my password to sign on here. 2 cups of coffee later it came to me...perhaps I should write these things down.)


I thought it would be fun, since I do love food so much, to restart the blog on a day of love. I will admit a slight obsession with making sure my boys have a hot, healthy breakfast on school mornings. We do a lot of oatmeal, french toast, bagel sandwiches, but their current favorite breakfast is pancake sandwiches. I make a huge batch of silver dollar sized pancakes and freeze them. In the morning, they take just 45 seconds in the microwave, get a big smear of peanut butter, and voila, a hot breakfast in less than a minute.


This morning, in honor of Valentine's Day, I made heart-shaped pancakes with peanut butter. HUGE hit.


Here's the recipe I use to make a big batch of pancakes for freezing:

1) Whisk together:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
6 Tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

2) In a separate bowl, whisk together:
3 cups milk (I use 2%)
6 Tablespoons melted butter
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Pour wet ingredients into dry and whisk together until just combined. Be careful not to overmix, or your pancakes will be dense little discs. Heat griddle, melt butter, and cook your pancakes. Enjoy!