Monday, November 16, 2009

The Great Pumpkin, Part 1

First, a question: Is it possible to die of cabin fever?? We had 3 straight days of rain, and now I've had 4 days of sick kids. The result is that I've been stuck in the house even more than usual (since I work from home, I'm already here a LOT), and I am literally about to climb the walls.

Next, the real topic of the day. Pie. Before the boys got sick and I lost 4 days of my life, this was going to be the Thanksgiving Of Two Pies. I've been searching for the perfect apple pie recipe for several years, and I have finally found a couple that look like winners. My plan for this past weekend was to test both of them and settle on one for Thanksgiving, to accompany our traditional pumpkin pie. Alas, it now ain't gonna happen. We shall remain a One Pie Family for yet a while longer. On the upside, I suppose it gives me something to look forward to next year. (See how in the Thanksgiving Spirit I can be?).

Which brings us to pumpkin pie. I am famous for my pumpkin pie. Seriously. Or rather, I am famous for my grandmother's pumpkin pie, as this was originally her recipe. (At first I was honored that she gave it to me and I got to be the Pie Maker, but I've gotten wiser to her tricks and I now realize this was just her way of passing on the dessert responsibilities.) And to make your Thanksgiving that much more fun, I'm now sharing it with you.

Part one: Tonight, after kiddos are in bed and you've started the laundry, make your pie crusts. Yes, make them yourself. They are so, so easy to make, but the trick is to make them ahead of time. Disaster always looms when you haven't given yourself enough time to let them come together in the refrigerator (there is a technical baking term for that, but I can't remember what it is).

Here you go. This recipe is for one pie crust, so double it if you need to.
12 tablespoons very cold butter (I find it handy to dice the butter and then stick it in the freezer while I get everything else ready)
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt (Do NOT forget the salt. Last year I was rushing and forgot the salt. Oh what a disaster that was. My poor family was so polite and ate the pie anyway, and didn't say a word, but when I took my bite I just about spit it out across the table. Gross. Let this be a lesson to you. And NO, this is not why I am famous for my pies.)
1 tablespoon sugar
1/3 cup very cold vegetable shortening (I buy the Crisco sticks, stick them in the freezer with the butter)
6-8 tablespoons ice water (about 1/2 cup)

Place the flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse a few times to mix. Add the butter and shortening. Pulse 8 to 12 times, until the butter is the size of peas. With the machine running, pour the ice water one tablespoon at a time down the feed tube and pulse the machine until the dough begins to form a ball. Once the dough begins to form a ball, you can stop adding the water. I find that here, where it's so humid, I often only need 5 or 6 tablespoons of water, but if it's drier where you are, you might need all 8. Dump the dough out on a well-floured board and quickly pack it into a ball. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, put into a resealable freezer bag, and pop into the freezer until next week.

Part II comes tomorrow...theoretically...