Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Something to Noodle Over

First, I suppose I should be grateful that it's took so long: we had a full 4 weeks of school before my kids (aka the walking petri dishes) brought home a cold. But here I am, with one kid recovering, one in the midst of it, and a scratchy throat of my own that I keep telling myself could just be from being up half the night listening to little coughs on the monitor (Whatever. I am so getting sick.).

It's times like these that I really, really appreciate a stocked freezer, because it's like having someone bring you dinner just when you need it the most.

So here's my advice to you - consider yourself forewarned that if you don't have this cold yet, but you have kids, it's coming your way. Take the time this weekend to stock up that freezer, and here's what should be at the top of your list: Chicken Noodle Soup. This recipe freezes beautifully, and nothing hits the spot more when you're under the weather.

1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded
4 quarts homemade chicken stock (or you can use Kitchen Basics stock if homemade is impractical this weekend)
2-3 cups chopped celery (I like lots of veggies in my soup, so this is heavy on the celery and carrots - do a small dice for both of them so you don't end up with big chunks of veggies)
2-3 cups diced carrots
1 large sweet yellow onion, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups uncooked egg noodles (I use whole wheat egg noodles in this)
Salt and pepper

In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery, along with a generous pinch of salt and pepper and cook until tender, stirring often. Add the chicken stock, bring to a simmer, and cook the veggies another 10-15 minutes. Add the shredded chicken and noodles, cook 10 minutes more until noodles are cooked through. Taste for seasoning. Maybe more salt and pepper? A little fresh parsley? You decide, but don't spend too much time on it. With that stuffy nose you're not going to be able to tell anyway.