Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Distillery

Do you ever have a complete and total lack of creativity? I obviously do, because I couldn't think of anything clever for today's blog title. But I know someone who doesn't: my friend Leigh, one of my college roommates, and one of the most creative, loving, and life-embracing people I know. She's the real creator of this blog (and I mean that literally - she actually set it up for me) and truly an inspiration. She's also celebrating a birthday, so this shoutout is for her - Happy Birthday Leigh!

***

Now, for today's restaurant review, a joint effort by Attorney Mom and me:

(Me): Talk about a tall order. Attorney Mom and I, along with our husbands, had tickets to see Seinfeld perform the other night, and we were looking for a place to have a quick bite to eat before the show. Savannah, while lovely in oh-so-many other ways, is not exactly known for its speed (there's a reason the whole "slow cook" food movement is so popular here; unfortunately Savannah's interpretation extends to "slow service"), thus we were a bit concerned about whether we could find a real restaurant that could deliver. But we did. The Distillery was exactly the right place - great casual atmosphere, good pub-style food, and excellent service, despite the fact that every living soul in Savannah apparently had the same idea we did.

(Attorney Mom): The name of the restaurant is The Distillery, but it's a bit of a misnomer, as its raison d'etre is to be a hand-crafted beer parlor (beer is brewed, not distilled...right?) Further proof that its soul is beer? I had a pour of the house chardonnay, and it was, to be gentle, not lovingly selected by a kind nose. The husbands had beer, and if that's your thing, get thee there pronto, as the beer went down well and the selection is fabulous.
And the food? I had a burger that was really delicious- the beef was very satisfying, as were the side fries that accompanied it. To me, there is nothing better than a crisp fry, and the overall crisp to soggy ratio was about 80/20, which is quite excellent, in the big scheme of eating fries all over town. My DH had the club sandwich, and as he similarly has sampled club sandwiches all over town, he deemed this one to be Most Impressive. The meat was handcut at the restaurant, and thus the sandwich went from tired cold cuts to a much more exciting bite.

(Me): I agree with Attorney Mom about the wine (though mine was a pinot grigio). On the upside, it was served nicely chilled. Nothing worse than warm, weak wine (shudder). I had the fish and chips, which was perfect. Tasty pieces of cod lightly battered and fried, and seasoned just right. Served the with aforementioned fries with a nice, light tartar sauce for dipping. Our server was friendly and efficient, quite a feat considering the packed crowds. My DH also had the burger and pronounced it "very good."

Overall, we give it 4 stars. (Out of how many? I don't know. We didn't actually set a system) Just the right place for a casual, quick downtown dinner.

Happy eating!