Monday, August 17, 2009

One Shining Moment

Oh how I wish I could freeze time right now, this very moment. I am exhausted from a busy day of work, child care, errands, and house chores, but for once in my life, everything is as it should be. The boys are asleep - no one is fussing from teething or asking for one more drink of water or please please please can the cat go to sleep with him tonight or throwing lovies over the side of the crib and shrieking with outrage when they don't immediately return to the sweaty hand like a boomerang or any of the usual evening nonsense... The laundry is folded (!). The kitchen is cleaned. Bags are packed and ready for the first day of school tomorrow. I've answered most of my emails, I've had chitchat and a glass of wine with my husband, and I even read the paper (ok, in Savannah that takes like 3 seconds, but still. It's an accomplishment most days).

And I am taking the moment to appreciate it all.

Here's today's walk-through-the-door-and-have-dinner-practically-ready meal: baked tortellini. Get good quality frozen tortellini, put it in a lidded casserole dish, pour marinara sauce over it, stir well and cover, and set your "delay start" function on your oven so that it starts baking 45 minutes before you come home. (Note: this is a good dish if you're leaving the house for a couple hours and want dinner ready when you come back, not if you're gone all day). When you walk in, take it out, sprinkle liberally with shredded mozzarella or provolone cheese, and pop it back in the oven uncovered while you quickly toss together a salad, set the table, and open a bottle of wine. When the cheese is bubbly it's ready. So yummy and easy, and truly one of our family's favorites. I was serving our youngest his third helping of it this evening, when DH, attempting to give him a nudge on his manners, said, "What do you say to Mommy?" The little rascal looked at me and said,"More!" Ha.

Happy eating!