Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Best Laid Plans

Dear Readers, I really, really do try to be consistent about my posting. My goal is always to post at least twice each week, and three times if I'm feeling especially verbose. But little things like work, sweet boys, DH, errands, household chores, socializing, and exercising always seem to get in the way of sitting down and writing about food.

This week is a classic example of the days getting away from me. For those of you eagerly following my menu planning, here's what the week was supposed to look like:
Sunday: Chicken stew with biscuits
Monday: Leftovers (chicken stew is even better the next day!)
Tuesday: Pan fried flounder, green beans, rice (or, in cold weather, chili on rice or baked potatoes)
Wednesday: Spinach lasagna
Thursday: Steaks, salad, potatoes (with hot dogs for the kiddos)
Friday: Pizza night

Here's what it really looked like:
Sunday: I left for Atlanta to work there for a couple days this week. DH fed the kids cereal for dinner.
Monday: Still in Atlanta. DH fed the kids bagels for dinner.
Tuesday: Walk in the door from Atlanta just in time for dinner. Thank goodness for my mother, who stopped by earlier in the day and put a casserole in the oven for us.
Wednesday: No one has gone to the grocery store for a week. The kids had waffles for dinner. DH had a peanut butter sandwich. I abandoned them all again and ate dinner with my book club.
Thursday: Today. Still no grocery store run. Thankfully we got a farmbox delivery today, so we at least have a few vegetables in the house and a nice fresh loaf of ciabatta bread. I hear a frittata calling our names...
***
I am SO behind on posting recipes, and I have some good ones lined up! This one is from our friend (and one of my husband's partners) Jennifer. It is FABULOUS. She served this at a dinner party a few weeks ago with rice, roasted asparagus, and salad. So amazingly yummy.

Shrimp Dejonghe (a family favorite for at least 40 years now)

2 cups white bread crumbs
2-4 cloves garlic, minced (I use 4)
1/3 cup chopped parsley with extra set aside for garnish
1 cup melted butter
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Dash cayenne pepper
2/3 cup cooking sherry
7-8 cups shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails off (approximately 4 lbs)

Boil shrimp until just done (Editorial note: that should be no more than 3 minutes at the most) and spread on the bottom of a greased baking dish. Set aside.

Melt butter. Add garlic, parsley, paprika, cayenne pepper, and sherry. Mix well. Add breadcrumbs to the liquid mixture at the last minute. Toss gently with hands (do not stir with spoon because it will make the mixture too "pasty.") Spread this mixture on top of the boiled shrimp. Bake at 325 for 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley toward the end of the baking.

I usually do all of the chopping by hand just for the joy of preparing and cooking food but it can be easily and quickly done with the aid of a food processor if you're in a hurry. Just do the breadcrumbs first to keep them dry as long as possible.

Enjoy!