Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Christmas Morning

WHEW.

Is any one else completely tired of all things food-related? After all the planning, shopping, preparing, and of course EATING last week, even I don't want to give food another thought.

And yet here I am, already planning for Christmas morning.

When I was growing up, my Mom always made a fabulous coffee cake for Christmas breakfast, and I love it to this day. But I don't make it now because my husband isn't as crazy about it (though let's be honest - his holiday tastes are a little suspect, as he comes from a family that has cookies and diet coke for Christmas breakfast). I've tried doing cinnamon rolls, which are fine but nothing special, and big breakfast casseroles, which are great but too much work to put together on Christmas Eve now that we have to help Santa get everything ready for Christmas morning.

But now, I think I've settled on a new tradition for our family: chocolate croissants. My friend Leigh brought these to our last girls weekend trip (where the inspiration for this blog was born), and they were, in a word, Fabulous. I've just placed my order from them from Williams-Sonoma, and am feeling quite pleased with myself to have at least one meal in this crazy month planned.

***
Another recipe from our supper club, this one from our French friend Lucie, who is so incredibly stylish that even her food looks gorgeous.

Roasted Veggies Couscous Salad (serves 6 people)
2 cups of couscous
2.5 cups of chicken stock
Roast half a butternut squash, 2 sweet potatoes (olive oil , salt and pepper in the oven at 350 for an hour)
Pour the boiling chicken stock over the dry couscous - cover and wait 5 minutes....add the roast veggies and as many blanched snow peas as you like.
Dressing: whisk together and pour over couscous 2 tbs of olive oil, 1/2 tsp of harissa paste (chili paste), 1/4 cup of chopped mint, 1/4 cup of lemon juice, 1 tbs of honey

voila! bon appetit!