Tuesday, October 27, 2009

We Go Together

Seriously: is there any better combination than tomato soup and grilled cheese? (Okay, yes, perhaps milk and cookies, but I meant for dinner). Especially on a rainy and dreary day, nothing hits the spot more.

I have been making this recipe for years, and can't remember where it originally came from. It's ridiculously easy, freezes perfectly, and it's so healthy and satisfying. This recipe makes about 8 large servings.

Classic Tomato Soup

4 tablespoons butter (Actually, I think this is too much. I'll decrease it to 2 or 3 tablespoons next time I make it. I think I have that thought every time I make it and then forget to make the note in my recipe file, but I've done it this time.)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons tomato paste (I like Muir Glen brand)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
32 ounces chicken stock (Since this isn't a brothy soup like chicken noodle soup, I don't use my homemade stock for this - I just go with the box of Kitchen Basics.)
2 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes in juice (This time I bought imported Italian tomatoes - the Cento brand - just because I happened to see them at the grocery store. They were absolutely delicious, but I didn't notice until I was opening the cans that they were 35 ounces each, not 28 ounces. I used both full cans anyway and the soup turned out great. I did have to add a pinch more salt and pepper.)

In a large dutch oven, melt the butter and add the olive oil. Add onion and salt and pepper, cook for 5-7 minutes. Stir in flour and tomato paste and cook for another minute. Add thyme, broth, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes. Use your immersion blender to puree the soup, making it as chunky or as smooth as you prefer. I actually like mine pretty smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, seriously, go get one. They're $50 for a great Kitchen Aid one at Target and you'll use it all winter long making these super yummy soups. Be careful not to splash yourself though! It's hot!! Taste for seasonings - need more salt and pepper? Add it in. Serve hot. (Note - when I give this to my little boy, I actually mix it with some milk, roughly 1/4 cup milk and 1/2 cup of soup. It cuts the acidity, making it a more mellow taste, and cools it off for him. He loves it).

I serve with the aforementioned grilled cheese, and tonight I took it a step further. I made croutons out of my leftover homemade bread (cut up remaining bread into chunks, toss with about a tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt, and broil for less time than you think. No kidding - check it every 30 seconds or so). I put the soup in big soup bowls, put a big handful of the croutons on top, and sprinkled with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. OH SO GOOD.

Happy eating!